~ E R I C ~

That's my name don't where it out

By

Night Essay

The life of the hopeless

The holocaust was when the Nazis, lead by Adolf Hitler had done a mass murder which had wiped out more than 50% of the Jewish population. In this book, you will learn about how 13 year old boy Eli Wiesel and his family have been taken from their home and sent to a concentration camp. While you keep reading you will notice that Elie is very hopeful about freedom and has deep faith in his religion. But then while you continue to read, you will notice that he will start to lose his hope a little by a little. And while he is losing his hope, he is losing his faith in his religion. in the following paragraph you will see where he still has faith in his religion.

In the book, Elie starts off with a quote that shows his love and hope for his religion, “I was almost 13 and deeply observant. By day I studied Talmud and by night I would run to the synagogue to weep over the destruction of the temple”. Elie is a person who deeply cares about his religion if he does this every day. He is not being forced to do this; he is choosing to do anything that has to do with his religion. This shows that he cares about his religion to the point everything he does in everyday life has to do with his religion. In the following paragraph Elie and his family are taken and while in the cattle car on the way to the 1st concentration camp Birkenau and how he still has faith in his god.

In this part of the book Elie and his family are in a cattle car unaware of where they are going and the only thing that people know that they were told that they would be relocated. On the way to very to Birkenau it was very frightening but when they finally arrived Elie says, “Confidence soared, suddenly we felt free from the previous night terror, we gave thanks to god”. This is when Elie still has some faith even when something bad is happening. He thinks that if he prays that all of this will be better. In the next paragraph you will see how Elie still has faith in god but is losing it and does not think about it much.

In this part of the book, Jewish people are celebrating a Jewish holiday known as Yom Kippour is a the only Biblical fast day on which Jews pray for forgiveness for all their sins. So to explain this holiday a little more all Jewish people fast(not eat) on this holiday. But instead, Elie decides to do this,”I did not fast, mainly to please my father, who had forbidden me to do so. But further, there was no longer any reason why I should fast. I no longer accepted God’s silence. As I swallowed my bowl of soup, I saw in the gesture an act of rebellion and protest against Him”. Normally he would love to celebrate on this holiday. But instead, he is angry at god for what has happened and he hasn’t helped at all to Elie’s eye’s. This is when he started losing faith in his god and his religion. In the following and last paragraph, you will see where he starts to lose all of his religious faith.

The day that the camp of Buna was bombed a child and 2 other adult inmates were hanged in front of him and some other inmates for stealing. And while he was being hanged they had to say this“Where is God? Where is He?” someone behind me asked. ..

For more than half an hour [the child in the noose] stayed there, struggling between life and death, dying in slow agony under our eyes. And we had to look him full in the face. He was still alive when I passed in front of him. His tongue was still red, his eyes were not yet glazed.

Behind me, I heard the same man asking:

“Where is God now?”

And I heard a voice within me answer him:

“Where is He? Here He is—He is hanging here on this gallows. . . .”. What he is trying to say is that he thinks god is dead because he has not helped in any way after all of the praying they have been doing. What I am trying to get out is, Elie has gone through the life of the hopeless, and now, he has lost a connection he might never get back. That is what my essay is about. A boy with no hope any more, HOPELESS.